Monday, September 20, 2010

Friday Night Football

The Ft. Meade 12U Cougars travelled out to Cape St. Clair to take on their Cougars.  Our boys were pretty evenly matched to them, other than they were a bit taller than ours.  CSC was the first to receive the ball.  As we kicked off, they received it, and ran it back for a touchdown.  OMG!  Then they went out there, and like the Seahawks a few games back, they were a kicking team.  They kicked the extra point.  8-0  So, we got the ball back, and of course we get out there and try to move the ball.  Try being the operative word.  With no such luck, we have to give the ball back to CSC.  They do a pass play and score on us again.  Kicker comes out, and kicks it right through the uprights.  16-0  /sigh  At this point our teams parents are starting to get upset and telling the boys that they need to pick it up and do something to stop this team.  Well, when CSC got possession again, did the same exact play as the last touchdown and scored again. 

During the 2nd quarter, our Cougars were able to keep CSC from scoring, but the way that they were playing, there was no way that we could come back.  Our defense stepped up and was able to stop CSC's offense, but when we had the ball, our offense couldn't get anywhere.  We weren't holding tackles, they weren't blocking, they just weren't doing anything to help our running backs get through with the ball.

Most of the game was a blur to me after halftime.  I sat watching and waiting for Mike to go in and play, but nothing happened.  I was very upset.  At some point during the game, the other team scored 2 more times, making it 32-0.  In the last minute of the game, Coach Fred asked who had not been in the game yet, Mike, the other boy who is Mike's size, and 2 others raised their hand.  Coach Fred sent them in with a few of the starting defense.  So I thought, "Great, Mike is going to get to play."  WRONG!!!  The other team took a knee twice.  Game over.

Mike walked off of the field.  The expression on his face didn't match what came out of his mouth.  At that point, I blew up.  Loud enough for the players, coaches and other parents to hear.  I pretty much called it bullsh*t that Mike was sent on the field to watch the other team take a knee, how he is always at practice early, how he gets his butt kicked all week just to stand on the sidelines, and how it's absolutely messed up.  I was furious.  I asked Andy for the keys and took off to the van, cause otherwise, I was going to jump all over the coach for sitting my son out 2 games in a row with no explanation. 

On the way home from the game, I sent an e-mail to the coach asking him why Mike didn't get to play.  I did point out how other boys show up late to practice, disrespect the coaches, act like they don't give a crap, and they dominate the time on the field.  I asked him if I should have Mike doing those things to get play time.  Of course he couldn't give me an answer to that, but he did say that he and the other coaches enjoy having Mike on the team.  Really?  If that is true, then why don't you play him? 

What I didn't know was that there were some other parents stirring the pot too.  An e-mail arrived the next morning that had been sent out to the director of CYSS, the coaches and all the parents.  It was from one of the other parents who child is a starter, but she was pointing out how it is unfair that there are boys who are getting little to absolutely NO play time.  Needless to say, it started a war with some of the parents.  Most of the parents whose boys that start were defending the coaches, while those of us who have boys that don't play during games were saying that it's not about the coaches, it's about the boys, and it is a YOUTH LEAGUE.  All the boys should get a chance to play regardless of skill.  Frankly, as bad as we have been getting beat lately, the non-starters couldn't do any worse than the starters. 

In other news, I had quite a bit of my hair cut off on Friday.  I've been asking Andy for awhile if I could do it.  He prefers my long hair, but it just got to be a pain.  It just wouldn't do anything for me.  I do like it, but part of me misses my long hair.  It's not like I really did anything with my hair anyway.  I usually just pulled it up, but even when I did that, it just hung there.  I need to get it colored soon, but that'll just have to wait. 

Well, I think that is all for now. Remember to say a prayer for those in the military fighting for our freedoms. HOOAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment